Monday, January 26, 2009

How much is that Doggy in the window? ruff ruff

With all the extra curricular activities we got going on and especially the traveling we do with Hudson's comp baseball team we are always looking for someone to watch Noel. I've decided that it is too much and we have to sell her. We are so sad but we are just not a pet family I guess. When Tierra turned 4, I bought her a Conure for her birthday. We had just gone to Disneyland and there was a Tiki room with talking parrots so we named him Tiki.
When I bought Tiki, he bit my finger at the store and it bled pretty bad so I was a little concerned about Tierra handling him. But this is holding him the day after we got him. He was such a good bird. He had personality. We taught him to say "hello" and we'd set him on the outside of his cage and say "potty Tiki" and he'd go, then we could hold him without worrying he'd poop on us. He loved showers. I took him in the shower with me and Tierra would wrap him in a towel and he'd just lay there. She pushed him around in her doll stroller too.
This is Tierra's 1st day of her 3rd year in preschool (since she has a Sept. birthday) and she wanted to pose with her pet bird and her pet dog Scooby Doo. After I got married and we moved into our house Tiki was irritable, he picked all his feathers out on his chest and squawked a lot. After I had Hudson, I was irritable! I was so tired and needed my sleep and Tiki would squawk for attention and wake Hudson up and I just couldn't take it anymore. I was also the one cleaning his ginormous cage. As a family we took him to a pet store when Hudson was about 10 months old. I regret it now. Looking back I don't think he was that bad, but I realize at the time it was too much for me to handle. We miss him.
In 2003 Santa brought Tierra a puppy. She named her Noel and we have had her for 5 years. Tierra has always had a soft spot for animals, so I thought Noel would be Tierra's best friend, someone she could cuddle with in bed and talk to and keep her company. She was for a couple of years but then as she became a teenager, she didn't have time for Noel anymore. I am the one picking up poop in the backyard so my boys can go out and play without any "incidents". Sometimes even the boys would scoop poop for 5 cents a dropping. But I'm the one taking her for walks, I'm the one feeding her, I'm the one cleaning up her accidents in the house. And telling T to give her a bath or feed her is like pulling teeth. grumble, mumble.
Tierra still loves Noel and the boys certainly don't want to give her away but we need to face the facts. My mom can't tend Noel because she's not suppose to have pets where she lives, I don't want to nor do we have the money for her to stay at the kennel. My brother has 2 dogs of his own and their boy Yorkie drives Noel insane, sniffing and jumping all over her constantly! With Baseball tournaments coming up in March, I don't see that we really have a choice. We are gone for days at a time staying in hotels. When we aren't playing in tournaments we are gone to double headers every Saturday, being gone for at least 6 hours or more at a time.
Tierra made calendars for her friends one year for Christmas. Noel just lays there and lets her do whatever. Tierra would kill me if she knew I put this picture on with her eyes closed. But I took, no kidding, 8 pictures in a row. She can't keep her eyes open with the flash on my camera. I turned it off but then the picture was orange.

Oh and don't forget last fall when Noel had puppies. They were so much fun!
Logan was only 2 but he was so gentle and loved those puppies. He is always giving Noel attention and trying to hold her and cuddle her. She doesn't mind, but she prefers older people to little people.
So I have her listed on KSL and a lady called an hour later and came and gave me half the money until I could go get Noel's Rabie shots which are overdue. I was so excited because this lady was retired and had a dog for Noel to play with and it seemed perfect. But she called back a day later and said her husband wasn't ready for another dog. What a let down. All the kids had told her goodbye and we were all ready for the transition. Oh well, hopefully we will find the perfect home for her.
So I don't think we'll be getting any more pets for a long time. I kind of want a hamster. Larry says no way. We don't like fish. Larry (and Tierra) want a Boxer. Are you kidding me? Then we'd have huge poops to be picking up. And where will the Boxer go while we're gone? They just don't get it!

15 comments:

pcb said...

Oh that is so sad! She can't be in the backyard when you guys are gone and then someone come over to feed her and let her in at night??? Something?? I think if you get rid of her you will regret it, like the bird. I like Noel.

Tony said...

I know how you feel with this whole story. We have dogs that we are constantly having to find people to take care of when we leave. i.e. Schencks, Bybees, and Augers. It doesn't seem fair to the dogs or to the neighbors. I just wish I had the courage to list them on KSL. I go back and forth with it. Please call us though if you need someone to watch her. We would love to help. We can handle anything short term. My kids love Yorkies. I am totally SERIOUS about this offer.

Tony said...

dang it. I did it again. Commented in Tony's google account. It's me - STEPHANIE

Shaury said...

Oh poor Noel. We've been SO happy to be reunited with our Roxy. I guess I'd have to suggest trying to stick out the bad times, unless you really don't want her anymore.

Angela said...

PCB, Noel will absolutely not stay in our backyard. She only goes out to potty and wants right back in. Nolan knows enough about that story. If she is left in the backyard, she finds a way out and runs the neighborhood.
Steph, Tierra said you guys would take her before you even commented. She said you have lots of dogs and I said that is exactly why they don't want another one. And Shaury, No I won't regret it. Of course we will think about the good times and miss her but we're not dog lovers anymore and Larry and I have no patience for her anyway. We don't want the responsibility. Noel was missing for a whole day one time and nobody even noticed until that night...she was in our Surburban. But we didn't find her until morning. She ended up staying the whole night and no one lost any sleep over her, so even the kids don't seem to care. Sad I know but everyone is different when it comes to loving animals. I don't want anyone to think Noel is mistreated, because she is spoiled!

Steph said...

Ang, you are sooooo right! we don't want another dog. I totally know how you are feeling. Sometimes enough is enough. I am feeling it with our dogs. No matter how much you love them, family comes first and there is no time for animals. The part about her sleeping in the suburban and nobody noticing makes me glad that we are not the only ones. We had a similar experience with our cat that everyone just loved, and "no mom, please don't get rid of the cat." It disappeared, and I noticed the first night. I didn't say anything, and nobody else noticed for about a week. How's that?

amy said...

I have said many times that we are going to get rid of our onery cat, but I still have her because I don't have the guts to do it. We have talked about getting a dog but I would be the one that would have to do everything and I can't handle it right now. I can't even get my kids to constantly feed the cat. We have managed to keep those 2 guppies alive - WOW! It's such a hard decision.

Angela said...

Amy, you still have your guppies? WOW, can you still see them? Isn't the water murky by now? I was the one feeding them too so I just dumped them out on our lawn and Hudson didn't notice until about 2 weeks later.

Jodi said...

Oh Angela!! That is so tough!!! i know how you feel, we have a dog and a cat that I am having a hard time keeping, but can't get the guts up to get rid of them either- afraid the kids will be too sad!! She is so cute though, i bet if you put her on ksl you shoud be able to find a good home for her!! ): Good Luck!! (I love the pictures of Tierra when she was so tiny!! (:

Jenny Lee said...

I hate pets! You can't live with them and you can't seem to do without them either. I feel bad for you having to let Noel go. She is so cute. My kids would take her in a heart beat, but I'm like you, I'd be doing all the work and we'd need somewhere for her tended all the time. We got a cat and she's been fine enough. They're pretty easy to leave. Tierra was and still is so cute. She looked so much like our little neighbor girl that is our YW President's daughter.

Tina Birt said...

oh sad day! I wish I could take her cause she is so cute but my apartment won't allow pets and I would say she could stay at my parents house but they would laugh in my face and say no way! They won't have anything to do with inside pets. Oh so sad!!!!

leafhopper said...

I totally understand the pet thing but when you don't have one you always want one. haha. Funny how attractive they are until you have to care and clean up after them.

Nadia Woodhouse said...

noooooo i want noel to have more puppies.. for me. oh thank you for the bday wishes! i am 21 now!!! ohhhhh yeah! ok well i want to come see you guys soon!

calmrapids said...

Paige told me you were trying to find my blog! It's not private so if you can't just follow my comment here back to my blog, try putting calmrapids.blogspot.com in your browser. Good luck!

pcb said...

Look at that Angela - bringing support to your blog - I am a good friend!