Sunday, November 30, 2008

Pioneers arrive in SLC, Nov. 30, 1856

The Saints arrived on a Sunday 152 yrs ago today. It is so fitting that today is the Sabbath Day and I will be thinking of them.
Larry and I were lucky enough to be chosen as a Ma and Pa to go on the Martin Cove's Trek this past summer. We attended monthly training meetings (4hrs long each) starting back in February. It took a lot of preparation, both physically and spiritually. I really wanted to go this year because Tierra would be going also. This opportunity only comes every 4 yrs. and there are rumors that the church may stop going to the actual Martin's Cove and Rocky Ridge sites because of the cost. The buses alone to transport all the youth and leaders to Wyoming was $27,000. But our prophet knows how significant this Trek is for the youth and how it has changed many lives.
We were "blessed" with 7 kids not including our doll baby. Alexis, Elise, Lisa, Ryan, Josh, Jordan and Camille.
Me, 2 of our boys and Larry pulling our hand cart.


2 of our daughters and our baby girl that had to be carried all the way.

I didn't get any pictures of us on the buses, but I felt that was the funnest time and the place our family bonded most since we spent almost 6 hours on them each way. We met our kids for the first time as we loaded up on a July morning at 5am. We played lots of get to know you games and one activity was to decorate and name our baby doll. We chose Sha-nae-nae. We also made our family flag and voted on our family name which was The Covenites and our motto was"Choose to Remember" (CTR).

Here is Tierra pushing her cart with her family and stopping for a water break. She didn't wear her bonnet much and got burned on one side of her face and her lips and nose got blistered. Kids!

Tierra and Larry. We were always glad to see our "real" child and know she was OK.

We either had to pull up front or push from behind. It helped to have our wagon loaded properly. We had 2, 5 gallon jugs for water and gatorade, and all 9 of our buckets full of our personal belongings. Plus one crate for snacks and supplies to load and make balance. We were lucky because we didn't have to take our sleeping bags. The team in charge of food, rode to camp and took all the tarps and sleeping bags for us.

Tierra at camp with her family.
We met up with Shae. We were divided into 4 colored groups. I was in the green (thus the headband) and Tierra was in the blue. Shae and Tierra sharing their stories and looking at their sore feet.
The women had to do a "Woman's pull". We had to pull our carts up a steep hill by ourselves. My daughters and I tied our aprons around our necks for a cape, so we could be "Super Woman" and have the strength. It was very spiritual (after we got our capes on). The men and boys were at the top of the hill watching. They were touched and many were crying, wanting to help their families.
Our cart coming up the steep hill. Some girls went down after they were done to help others, but we didn't want help. We wanted to know what it felt like to do it ourselves and remember the true women pioneers who lost their husbands and struggled on their own.

Larry and I at camp that evening. I only had a disposable camra because the dust might ruin our good camras, so the pictures aren't that great.


Tierra, Kiersten and Emily. We spread our sleeping bags out on tarps to sleep. This is what camped looked like at 6am when the siren went off for us to get up and come get our breakfast. We had it easy compared to the pioneers. Most meals were made for us and it was good food.

Tierra and I ready for another day of Trekking. This day we would go to Martin's Cove then return back to this same camp for a total of 17 miles!

Ryan, Josh and myself pulling and singing pioneer songs. Each family took turns being the leader, thus the red, white and blue flag. Then we'd move to the back for rotation.
Periodically, we would have a water and potty break at these outhouses along the trail. We stopped often to drink from our waterbottles, but many trekkers still got dehydrated.

Me and my boys giving the gang sign for South Weber, I think. he he

Larry and his 3 sons.
Martin's Cove looked like a slight mound of grass up against the mountains to the left and a little behind Larry from this view point.

I thought we had arrived at Martin's Cove when we came here, but this is Dan's Cove. This was before you reach Martin's Cove. We had a devotional and it was so hard not to fall asleep in the shade.

Camille and I. Going up and around to Martin's Cove took a toll on Camille. She was exhausted and her feet were sore and blistered. I had to link arms with her to keep her going. She was a real trooper.

Our family, (minus one son and one daughter) at the dedication plaque coming out of Martin's Cove.

Crossing at the Sweet Water. It was very sacred here, and there was no talking. Many Pioneers lost their lives from exposure after crossing this river.
Then we were able to wade across ourselves. (Tierra second girl back.) The water felt so good on our feet. We wish we were able to let loose and have a water fight, but not on sacred ground. Back at camp. My family too tired to even set up camp. We shared a camp station with the Poffs.
My feet and hips ?? were killing me. I didn't have any blisters though.

Day 3. Heading down the final stretch.

Veil Crossing. This plaque represents the people who were thought to have had their work done, but hadn't and weren't discovered until 1992. They had been waiting over 100 years to have their temple work done.

The crevice in these mountains is Devils Gate.
Larry washing out our wagon after a long dusty journey.
We had a couple missionary from our ward serving there at the time. They gave a devotional one night at camp.
I have a testimony of the pioneers and their sacrifice. I'm grateful I was able to experience just a taste of where they walked and to read and hear of their tragedies and triumphs. I read "The Price We Paid" before going on Trek. It is one of my favorite books now!
We have had wonderful weather this fall. But those pioneers were caught in early winter storms out on the plains of Wyoming with no shelter or food. I know I don't have the faith they had, but I'm learning through them.

8 comments:

Stacy said...

now that is one fantastic memory to cherish for a lifetime. Great pictures too!

Diana said...

This brought back tons of memories.. I loved being a Ma on Trek. Your flag was awesome I liked CTR - choose to remember.

Jodi said...

Oh Angela!! What an awesome post and pictures!! You are sooo lucky you were able to go!!! Those kids in your family will always remember you and your gret example!! How fun!!

Kim said...

Those are awesome pictures Ang! I'm sure you guys made a great "Ma" and "Pa". Miss You!

Kim said...

I forgot to mention I love the music too! (makes the pictures even more meaningful!)

pcb said...

I don't think many of the pioneer women had that ear splitting grin on their faces as they were pushing thier carts - never know though.

amy said...

You made an awesome pioneer! Thanks for bringing back the memories. Can you imagine coming into the valley this late?

GINGER said...

That was a great post. The pioneer trek looks like a great experience. YOu have some wonderful pictures. Thanks for sharing