Tuesday, February 24, 2009

South Weber, Utah vs. Laie, (or Honolulu) Oahu Hawaii




This is an "everybody feel sorry for Ang" post. I'm sure you'll all think I'm just a whiner but I don't care...when I get sad or ornery I have to talk it out. I'm a "glass is half empty rather than half full" type of person... So I see it as the grass still has snow on it rather than we can see grass through the snow!

This has been a freakin' long winter and I'm feeling the blues taking over. I have never completely forgiven Larry for turning down the job offer to Hawaii. (I know I'm evil.) Even though he did what he thought was best for our family (he's more realistic than I and felt he'd never be able to provide for his family in that expensive location). It'll be 3 yrs this April that he turned down the job. I'm sure he wishes I could get over it and move on with my life. Probably will happen....NEVER.

My problem is I believe everything happens for a reason and I don't see the reasoning in this. It has always been my dream as a child to live in Hawaii...then in my 20's I got this urge to want to work at the Polynesian Center that has lasted for 15 years! So when this job offer came, I felt like it was an answer to my prayers. What am I suppose to learn from the sudden reality that we were moving to Oahu to seeing it all go down the drain...mostly because of money. Nothing gained here...just misery. Why even put the temptation in my path if it wasn't to be. I hear a lot of vacationers say Oahu is their favorite island. WE COULD BE LIVING THERE! I could be working at my dream job. I could be working out with Gilad on the beaches, and seeing blue skies and palm trees everywhere I went.

I know many people express who much they love seasons and living here. Well good for you. I'd rather be in a place that is a constant paradise of mid 80's, ALWAYS being able to go outside for a walk in the sunshine, green grass, vegetation, exotic flowers, and fresh air without bundling up, breathing in that filthy air and freezing my patooti off!

I'm really getting tired of people telling me the beach would get old. What here is sooo wonderful that it never gets old and that you can visit year around? Don't go to the beach if you don't want to, but I'd take a walk along it every day if I could. I think living near the ocean would be a peaceful, relaxing and healing place to be....what do we have to compare? Pineview dam, Great Salt Lake, Willard Bay? Please!

Okay I better stop here. Some people might be taking offense to this. LOL You didn't build Utah yourself so settle down. I'll probably get struck by lightening now that I'm not be appreciative of what I do have. But a girl can hurt sometimes? Life's not aways a bowl of cherries! So we don't always have to be phony baloney and pretend it is.
It's my blog and I can complain if I want to!

I didn't post this to bring people down...I'm just looking at this as a journal entry that hopefully I'll be able to look back on in 3 months and not understand how I was feeling.

BLUCK! That sums up my feelings this week.

13 comments:

amy said...

That pic of the river is one of my favorite views! But I do love it in January and not March. If you lived in Hawaii who could tell me that I missed the bus every week! We are going to start hanging out at your house at 8am

amy said...

Besides - there isn't any huge chunks of ice in your pic so it's not THAT cold

Jeni said...

ahaaaahaaahaaaaa. You're too funny and brutally honest. Just wallow girl....let it all out....mope around in your mud puddles and dream of sandy beaches. Maybe go to a tanning bed to get some instant warmth. :)
I DO like seasons....but the winter season is too too long for me.

Jeni said...

ps... I LOVE that photo of the river. Beautiful.

Angela said...

By the way that pic of the river was from last year and I submitted it to KUTV news and it was aired. Well the actual pic had ducks in the river and blue skies...but that one would be too pretty for this post. lol I do love that view too. I capture it every year on the way to church when the snow is stuck on the branches. But I don't think I'd ever be sad about not seeing it again if I had a palm tree to look at on the way to church.

Diana said...

Love the honesty, but if you would of moved to Hawaii three years ago we would of never met, nor bonded over trek planning, field days and Narnia meetings. Be careful with your rebutal - Hawaii is amazing but I have a tender heart:)

Ellie McFreaken said...

Ang.....YEs this winter has been LONG!!!! I am feelin' those blues too girl.
I am only telling you this to make you feel better...I have known three people move to Hawaii over the past 5 years only to have all of them move back after a year and a half.
Why don't you pretend you are in Hawaii and have party with grass skirts....pina coladas....lai's....ukele music...and have it here in SW...then you can have the best of both worlds??????


Naw....not the same but hey it's worth a try!

Angela said...

Thanks guys for trying to cheer me up and put a damper on my pity party. That is one thing i wouldn't want to miss out on is the friends I've made in the last 3 years. And I did love trek. Larry's first thought was to move there for 2 yrs. then come back but i told him I'd never come back...maybe that's why he didn't dare go...but if I did at least i had that time in Hawaii to know what it was like. I should have a luau Ang. Good idea.

Jodi said...

Hey Angela!!! I posted a comment earlier but it must have gotten lost in blog space, so if it finds its way here please ignore the repeat!! HAHA!!
I love the picture of the river!! I love living in Utah 11 months out of the year, but seriously hate February in Utah!! I think I have winter blues worse than ever too!!
But Trevor lived on Oahu for a few months doing a government job. He was supposed to stay longer, but absolutely disliked everything about it. He thought the whole island was dirty, gross and scummy!! He left early before the kids and I could come visit him. Now he will never go back! And I have never been so I really want to go. So my plan is you and I plan a trip to Oahu!!! (And leave our Hawaii hating husbands home!!!)

I liked this post and its not a pity party!! And if any one should get to live in Hawaii it should be you because you look so dang hot in a swimsuit!!!!!! (:

Jeni said...

jodi!!! jason had a bad hawaii experience too! And...he said he will never go back...we should all go together.

Jodi said...

Jeni!!! I've never heard Jasons Hawaii story!!! OK!! It's a plan then! We're all going to Oahu without our husbands!!! I can't wait!! LOL!! Jeni start planning and Angela start packing!!! Yipee!!

pcb said...

How did I miss this post??? You poor thing! It has been high 70's here. I have to admit - I like the weather in Houston so much better than Utah. I love warmth - I don't even mind HEAT (and it does get hot), I even like humidity (good for your skin). But I can't stand to be cold. Some people just do better in a warmer climate - I feel for you.

Angela said...

I've told Larry i don't want to vacation in Hawaii cause then I'll REALLY know what i've been missing out on...I remember Trevor telling me about Oahu when we were thinking of moving...I had bad experiences in Italy and came home mad, but then looking back I really loved Italy! it was the people. ha ha Which my sister loved because they were so nice to her.
It's a GREAT plan though. I am totally up for the girls trip to Hawaii! Let's start saving for next winter so we can miss out on the blues. :) !!!!