Saturday, December 20, 2008

School Projects

From Kindergarten crafts to 9th grade science projects is a big gap! Like this is news to anyone. I happened to be able to help out all 3 of my kids with some project this week. I love going to Kindergarten centers because you get to help your own child and also get to know all the other children in class too. Then they get bigger and you end up volunteering just to help out a few in the class and don't get to see your own kids and don't get to know many of the others names either. I feel bad when kids say "Hi Mrs. Birt" and I don't even recognize them. Mostly girls because my boys don't have them over to play, but they all know I'm Hudson's mom.
Here's Parks' Gingerbread man that was the center I was helping with. They turned out so cute. His nose even smells like cinnamon. YUM.

All parents were invited to come help their child make a gingerbread house built around milk cartons. I wish I had taken my camra to the class room because each house was so different. One of Hud's friends had built a hotel! I think it's because we spend too much time in hotels during baseball tournaments. :) Hudson really wanted to eat his! Parks also brought home a gingerbread house that they did in centers on the opposite week that I volunteer.

Then Thursday night I find out Tierra has a Science project due Friday and we don't have anything to make it with. We weren't alone. We ran into other parents at Michaels, 8pm mind you, and the cashier told us so a lot of kids had come through the line that night with similar supplies. Most were using styrofoam spheres for their planet, but when I saw the price of half a sphere for $6.99 or a glass bowl for $3.99 that did it for me. T's planet was Jupiter which is the largest so the glass bowl fit the image. We stuffed it with colored tissue paper and used crushed graham cracker for the astroid belt. Tierra still had to type her report and we were up till midnight finishing this project.

I'm not in school anymore. I've paid my dues. I've graduated. I shouldn't have to be doing this stuff. :D I think I'll store this and pray that Hudson gets the same planet and we'll be done.

4 comments:

Tony said...

I had similar thoughts on the project thing too. We hit Wal-Mart and paid 9.99 for a dumb styrofoam ball that we had to cut in half, plus the paint to paint it, and poster board, etc. etc. I fell your pain. What am I going to do with half a styrofoam ball? :)

Tony said...

I guess I am logged in under Tony's name. It's Stephanie.

Jodi said...

Oh my goodness we had the exact same experience with the planet!! We went to walmart that night and also ran into fellow sundevils doing the same thing!! That whole project just about put Rylee, Me Trevor and the rest of the family over the top!! Had it not been the day before a very long and needed break we might have killed each other!! Rylee also had to finish typing her report!! I have burns on 3 fingers from the hot glue gun from that project!! UGGGG!!!! At least Tierras looks good!! $30.00 and all that stress and Ry's looked real bad!!!
I love Parks' cute gingerbread man!! And that Hudson is so creative and artisitc, I helped in Rykers 1st grade class for gingerbread houses and Hudsons looks way better than any I saw there!!!

Angela said...

Oh I'm so relieved to hear you (Steph and Jodi) were awake struggling with the same thing! Next time let's just get together to work on it. We'd probably save money sharing each others craft supplies and swap ideas and have FUN doing it!
It's funny you should say Hud is artistic. He just told me the other day 'he doesn't like coloring and that he's not artistic.' He's more of a number's guy like Larry.