Monday, November 8, 2010

Attitude of Gratitude

I am usually a pesimistic, the glass is half full kind of person. But i'm changing. I just want to express how Grateful I really feel lately...and it's not because it's November. This year at the elementary school we are trying to raise money for schools and desks in Kenya. My kids come home and talk about it and it breaks my heart that so many children go without. Without everything! Without a clean change of clothes, without a pillow or blanket or even floors! Without lunch at school. Without water, baths, medical care etc etc etc. Yet they are so thankful for what they do have. My kids are starting to realize that they are very blessed and shouldn't complain about the size of our house or what toys they don't have. And then I feel guilty how selfish and ungrateful I act. I also hear of other groups who travel to impoverished countries. I really wish I had the money to go with them and do something to make a difference. I'd like to someday go as a family and help build a school or something to make a difference. I think it would change my kids lives to see how blessed we are.
We have had a lot of talks at church the past month about Gratitude. And my kids and I have been keeping a notebook and writing 3 things a day we are thankful for.
Of course we always say "Family" but i've thought about it more in depth, like I'm thankful that I could bear children. I'm thankful for a husband who works 2 jobs to take care of us. Even though we are soo busy and life is hectic, I'm thankful that my kids have the opportunity of playing sports, and the piano and that they are smart, healthy and strong.
I look at things differently now, instead of being upset that my roof leaks, I'm glad I have a roof at all! Instead of hating to go to work, I'm glad I am not sick and am physically able to work.
I usually hate the cold, and after such an unusually long warm week for the first of November, it rained and is now snowing and instead of hating it I actually felt happy driving home from piano lessons at 8:30 in the morning seeing the beautiful fall colors and Christmas music was playing on FM 100! I came home to my kitchen smelling good and all clean thanks to my mom. I have cute Logan in his jams to welcome me and give me hugs. I can turn on my space heater and drink hot choc and read a book! Life is really good and I don't want anything to change!
I realized that I am probably in the best years of my life right now. The kids the ages they are is sooo fun. Actually i think 2 years ago was when the best started. Tierra was 15 not yet driving or dating. Hudson just 8 and so innocent, Parks just in Kindergarten and loving school and making cute crafts, Logan just 3 and saying cute things. I'm don't with getting up nights with crying babies.
Now its still great! Tierra is 17 a jr. I don't have to worry about her going off to college just yet. She got a 3.6 GPA first term with some tough classes. Has a small part time job that is close and flexible. She's going to dances, HS football games and hanging out with friends. Hudson loves his teacher and is still practicing football for a tournament in Las Vegas over Thanksgiving. He's also on 2 comp basketball teams. Larry coaches one and they are undefeated, I found him and Parks an awesome piano teacher that doesn't teach traditionally and they are excelling so fast and learning so much more!! (I'm also learning and practicing myself!) Parks is playing Jr. Jazz, and will be baptized in 5 months! He's my little boy with a mans voice! He still loves to cuddle me and is tenderhearted. Logan is home with me one more year. I'm teaching him to read. We color and read books and play games all day. He also plays Jr. Jazz, the youngest on his team and the best dribbler.
I use to get so mad about the boys goofing off and wrestling and all the noise and silly games and now I see that it is fun!!! I love to hear their voices, their laughter. The innocent games they make up and the good friends they are. They still believe in Santa, the Toothfairy and the Easter Bunny, they can still dress up for Halloween. They are entertained with marbles, stuffed animals, dudes, paper and pens or a Disney movie. Hudson just made them all paper laptops this weekend. They play tournaments with their little nerf ball and mini basketball hoop. Their imagination and creativity is endless.
When they are older they probably won't hang out together as much, won't make dumb noises and laugh their heads off. So I am enjoying every minute of this time in my life and theirs.
Anything could change today or tomorrow for the worse. I hope and pray that we stay healthy and safe.
Anything that I dislike I try to counter it with "it could be worse". I hate paying for Hudsons braces and I wish he didn't have to have oral surgery but at least he has teeth! :) I'm not even being funny. It's the truth. And at least we have a job and insurance to get him the help he needs with his teeth. And I can say this with anything that comes along. I just hope I don't get more challenges now that I'm trying to face them with a better attitude.

1 comments:

pcb said...

This put a smile on my face - even though you weren't trying to be funny "at least he has teeth" was still funny! You are blessed and it's about time you saw it! JK - you are a good mom, a good person and fun to be around and it is so nice that you can share your thoughts and changes as they are happening in your life and attitude. It just makes me miss you more.