Ok so I posted that last blog one day too soon. The very next day after being so appreciative and trying to be positive about things,....It rains and the roof leaks. I have had bowls under the leaks for months. One is coming through our light fixture right on top of the piano and wood flooring the other is in the "toy room" over my scrapbook desk, which I thought I cleared off to the side sufficiently. This ceiling had formed a new leak which happened to soak the folder that held 8X10 photos of my children that I've boughten over the years and cannot be replaced. Even some wedding and ultrasound pics were in there along with other one-of-a-kind, irreplaceable pictures.
Needless to say, I bawled. I tried to pull as many of them apart that I could to let them dry. Some were saved even though they have spots on them or the print across their face from the back of another photo and are curled around the edges.
Yes these are the same two spots that have leaked for over a year, that Larry said he fixed about a month ago (without getting on the roof) after he informed me we could not afford a new roof, after I'd called 4 different companies and scheduled them to come out and give me estimates. I agree we can't afford to get a new roof but it's really not something we can "choose" NOT to purchase. The ceiling is bulging and will eventually cave in if not fixed. That will cost us a fortune, so I choose the lesser. I'm also afraid of breathing in mold.
It's not something we can get "fixed" without replacing the whole roof with new tiles. Right now we have 1970 ceramic tiles that most companies will not deal with. Aaaahhhhh!
But trying to stay on the positive about this I just keep telling myself that I can't take pictures with me when I die so.....
it helps a little but it still hurts. Meanwhile it keeps getting wetter and will only get worse as the season rolls into winter!
Frustrated and worried....bluh is how I feel!
Sunday, November 14, 2010
Bah Humbug!
haphazardly created by Angela on Sunday, November 14, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



3 comments:
I am so sorry, both about your roof and your pictures. Hang in there and let us know if you end of doing the roof on your own. We could come over and help. Kent was a roofer when we were dating and 1st married, so I've spent some time up on the roof throwing shingles.
I'm so sorry to hear about your roof problem and having all those pictures ruined. I would cry and do a little complaining too. I sure hope you can get it fixed without sparing too much expense. I loved your attitude of gratitude post. I need to think more deeply too why I could be more grateful. Even though you may not feel rich, just reading through your posts and seeing your beautiful family and extended family and all the fun things you do makes me feel like you have a "rich" life. You are so blessed to have family all around you. We miss that so much. Well, I just wish you well. Thanks for posting. I love what you write about.
Thanks both of you. Diana, we thought about doing the roof ourselves, but it would only save about $2,000 and we'd have the problems of disposing of our heavy ceramic tile and it would take that much longer...Nolan and Larry know how to roof but they are both so busy. Larry is now saying let's get the whole thing replaced instead of just the spots...well we should have a month ago and saved the headache, so i think it is now a go. Our roofer is even trying to get our insurance to pay for it but I don't think it'll work.
Post a Comment