Monday, February 8, 2010

Chores no longer a chore

I have never had a set "Chore List" for my kids besides...pick up your toys, put your dirty clothes in the laundry basket, take your plate to the sink after you eat...and I've always been amazed when my young childrens friends couldn't play until they were done with big jobs such as cleaning the bathroom or laundry.

Well I was inspired and realized I wouldn't be so ornery if I had help and my kids need some discipline if they are ever going to manage on their own as they head off for college or a mission. The longer I wait to teach them these household cleaning necessities, the more stubborn they will have become.


So for FHE last Monday I made a list of ALL the jobs I do around the house, combined some then divided them up and they came out to 4 without me purposely trying to.

So here's the "Chore List" for my 4 kids.
1. Table duty (setting and clearing the table), bring in the mail.
2. Unloading the dishwasher, vacuum, dusting
3. Sweep and mop the floors, clean 2 bathrooms take out the garbage.
4. Loading the dishwasher, laundry

Practicing piano is a must but not something they get paid for. I find some parents think that just providing room and board for their kids and giving them money when they need it is payment enough while others give them an allowance. I like the allowance. It gives them something to pay tithing on and there is a reward to look forward to. They only earn .50 cents a day or per chore but that's $3 a week and they are proud when they earn more than their siblings when dad does payday.

Obviously my little kids need a lot of help and I'm right there doing it with them, so it takes longer than it normally would. But 'some of them' actually enjoy it. We were at Walmart and I reminded Logan that he had to unload the dishwasher when we got home and he raised his arms and shouted "YAH!" He loves standing on the cabinet while I hand him the dishes to put into the cupboards. Eventually they will all be taller, stronger and will catch on to how things are to be done and I'll have some peace of mind.

My kids already seem to behave better because they can't play until chores are done so they get done, no arguments! Hope this lasts.

Happy cleaning!

3 comments:

pcb said...

Good idea - I'm impressed!

Diane B said...

I think it's important for kids to have chores, to have some ownership of home.

leafhopper said...

We have a star chart right now to keep order and get chores done. Every sunday the kids get to use their points they earned for the week to purchase cards for computer time, movie time, ice cream, etc etc. or they can save some of it for the high points like Caleb really wants a bionicle.
I find that things only work for a short time though and then you have to mix it up again.